If you are missing one or more teeth, dental implants could help you restore a beautiful, healthy smile.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are replacement tooth roots. A crown,bridge, or denture can be secured on top of these implants. They can be divided into two basic categories: implants inserted into bone, and implants placed on top of bone. The type of implant used is based on the amount of bone available. Once the dental implants have been integrated with the jawbone and soft tissues, they will be strong enough to support dentures, crowns or bridges.
Who are they for?
Anyone in their mid-to-late teens and up who have sufficient bone density and enough gum tissues to support the procedure is eligible for dental implants.
If you have been told in the past that you are not eligible for dental implants, please come to Dental Specialists of New York for a second opinion. Dr. Sanchez has years of experience and education, and will work with you to find a solution.
The procedure in 3 simple steps
- Step 1: Placing the implant - Dr. Sanchez will surgically place the titanium implant post into your jawbone.
- Step 2: Installing the abutment - Once the implant is integrated to your jawbone, Dr. Sanchez will install a post called an abutment into your implant.
- Step 3: Restoration - Finally, Dr. Sanchez will secure your prosthetic tooth to your implant.
During the procedure, you will be placed under anesthesia. The process is relatively quick, and you will be up and about shortly after your surgery. That being said, it is crucial to take time for your jaw to heal between procedures to ensure tooth stability and long-lasting results. Because of this, we usually recommend waiting at least three to six months between placing the implant and placing the abutment for tooth restoration.
Benefits of dental implants:
- Stable and durable
- Higher bite strength than dentures
- Prevent bone loss from missing teeth
- Help maintain tooth alignment
- Create an aesthetically pleasing smile
- Function just like natural tooth roots
- Very high success rate (95%)
Treatment alternatives to dental implants
If you don’t have sufficient gum tissue or jawbone density, there are plenty of other treatments for restoring lost teeth. Two procedures can actually help you become eligible for dental implants. They are bone grafting surgery, and soft tissue augmentation.
Bone grafting surgery
Bone grafting surgeries use the bone from other body parts (often the hip) to build up bone density in the jaw. In some cases, Dr. Sanchez can surgically graft synthetic bone to your jaw, rather than using bone from your body.
Soft tissue augmentation
Soft tissue augmentation uses tissues from the roof of your mouth to rebuild areas of your gum line where the gums have receded. This, (and bone grafting) could help make you a candidate for dental implants.
Removable dental restorations
If you aren’t a good candidate for bone grafting or gum augmentation, Dr. Sanchez can create removable dental restorations for you. He will always work hard to find the best possible solutions for restoring your smile.
If you have no or very few teeth remaining, All-on-4® treatment as an effect solution for effective smile restoration. Using just four dental implants as support, Dr. Sanchez will be able to insert a full-arch prosthesis or denture to restore your smile.
All-on-4® treatment gives you:
- A permanent set of teeth with a natural look and feel
- A comfortable and secure fit
- Reduced sagging around the mouth
- An open palate for enhanced sense of taste
- The same bite force of natural teeth
- Reduced need for bone grafting
- A cheaper alternative to a full set of dental implants
Restore your full set of pearly whites
Come in for a free consultation with Dr. Sanchez to see if you are a candidate for dental implants or alternative dental restorative treatments.