Smile solutions to retain your stunning resultsWhy wear retainers?
No orthodontic treatment is complete without a retainer. They prevent your teeth from sliding back into their original positions. If you want to keep your post-treatment results, it’s important to follow your doctor’s instructions on the proper use of your retainer.
Types of retainers
We offer three types of retainers to help you keep your stunning new smile:
- A fixed retainer is a thin metal bar that we attach behind your bottom six front teeth. This bar is small but sturdy, so it will hold your teeth in place without getting in the way of your normal speech patterns.
- A Hawley retainer is like a removable plastic plate with wires running through it. The wires wrap around your teeth and are visible when you smile.
- An Essix retainer is made out of thin, clear plastic. It sits in your mouth like a mold and looks a bit like an Invisalign® clear aligner.
How to properly care for your retainer
Right after we remove your braces, you should wear your retainers full time, only removing them to eat and brush your teeth. Eventually, you will be able to move to nighttime-only wear.
In order to get the most out of your retention program, here are some helpful tips for retainer care:
- Clean your retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm (but not hot) water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors.
- When retainers are not in your mouth, they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to your retainer faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
- Remove retainers when swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.
Enjoy your forever smile
With proper retainer wear, your orthodontic smile results can last a lifetime. Ask us about your options when you join us at our clinic.